- Haram ingredients from alcohol beverages: Beer, Beer flavor, Rum Flavor, Hard Cider, Beer Batter, Soy Sauce (Naturally brewed), Wine, Pure Alcohol as a Natural Flavor, Vanilla Extract containing alcohol.
- Haram ingredients from Human body: L-Cysteine from human hair.
- Haram ingredients from Pig: Bacon, Ham, Gelatin, Enzymes, Marshmallow (pig Gelatin), Vitamins.
- Grain/plant based ingredients with pig based carrier: Beta carotene (pig Gelatin) and BHA/BHT (pig based carrier).
- Dairy ingredients made from pork enzymes and culture media: Caseinates, Lactose, Whey.
- Ingredients made from pork fat: Lard, Mono & diglycerides, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, DATEM, Polysorbate 60 or 80.
In conclusion it is very important to check the source of all ingredients within a product you purchase. Many respected scholars opt for home made food for this very reason due to inaccuracy of the source of the foods in many shops. Many hadith where islamic figures have forced themself to puke out the food they assumed this person had eaten by mistake and was considered to be Haram. Notable figures include Abu Bakr Siddique (ra) who was the best friend of our beloved Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).
Spirtual things to consider
Common western phrase has been, “you are what you eat” so always be careful in what you consume due to this reason. Also you might have had heard the phrase “my body is my temple” which is also another reason to eat clean and eat halal. Please do share with family and friends who will benefit from this and other articles we have on our site.